This is my entry for Meeta's Monthly mingle on carribean cooking.
I have always loved jerk seasoning, but I usually use it to prepare jerk tofu. For this MM I wanted to create something with jerk seasoning with a twist, hence came the jerk fried rice. It uses not only jerk seasoning but the great combination of rice and red beans.
2 cups cooked rice (I used basmati, you can use any type of rice, even brown rice would work great here)
1/2 cup red kidney beans soaked and cooked or 450 grams canned red kidney beans (make sure you have the red beans drained and washed in cold water before adding to the rice)
2 cups mixed vegetables( I used frozen stir fry vegetable blend)
1 red onion diced
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 inch ginger crushed
1 tablespoon of chopped green onion for garnish
3 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
4 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
salt to taste
Jerk spice To Grind
1 inch cinnamon
6 allspice berries or 1 tsp allspice ground
1 tsp red pepper flakes 1/2 spoon..if not available use cayenne or red chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
- Grind the jerk seasoning to a nice powder in a coffe grinder and keep separately.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a wide pan
- saute red onion, garlic, ginger
- when onions are caramelized, add vegetables ...saute for another 3 minutes on medium flame...if using fresh vegetables, saute in medium flame till the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add cooked red beans and saute for another minute
- Add ground jerk spices and thyme.Mix nicely.
- Add the red kidney beans and saute for a minute.
- Now add add the cooked rice, remaining 2 tablespoon oil and salt.
- Mix slowly so that all the ingredients are mixed together nicely.
- Garnish with green onions and serve hot
Note: It is also good for next day lunch. If you want more spice, increase the amount of red pepper and black pepper.